Thursday, April 03, 2008

Charles Kong Died

Charles Kong passed away a few weeks ago -- 70-something, I believe. I'd known him for 10 years or so -- met with him occasionally in his car, initially, then at his home. His lower body was paralyzed when I met him; he was bed-bound the last few years.

I didn't know his story until I met with his girl friend after his death. When he was 14, Charles dove a bit short at Nuuanu Falls at a graduation party -- broke his neck. That was before mandates for assistance for the handicapped, so the school had nothing for him. He was self-taught thereafter -- math through calculus, etc. He had a great speaking voice and worked at a Honolulu TV station, he wrote for Honolulu magazines, tutored students and did other odd jobs -- saving and investing in real estate along the way. By the time I met him, he had acquired several properties in Honolulu and Hilo and a home in Ahualoa.

Rather than wallowing in self-pity, he was always thinking and planning. One of his dreams was to turn his Ahualoa property into a botanical garden, but he never figured out who would be able to pull if off without him. He lived frugally, supported his wife in a care home and his caregiving girl friend of over 25 years, and paid for the additional care required with his declining health. He also looked after an aging aunt in LA.

I don't think I've known anyone who overcame so much with shear will and effort. In this age when so many seem helpless to overcome much smaller obstacles, I was impressed and reassured to know that this still is a land of opportunity for those willing to work and strive -- even from a wheelchair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool story. I had a conversation with another teacher about this the other day. I said that I have a hard time with our current welfare system because I do truly believe that you can be successful in this country if you choose to be. I know there are some serious problems with our country, but as I study other countries in geography, I've become pretty grateful that I live in the land of opportunity.

David and Kris Taylor said...

Sounds like an inspiring guy.

D.

Anna said...

I saw an amazing story last night on PBS, Bill Moyers about the people in the Congo who have suffered horrendously mostly because of the war and somewhat from underdevelopment. Anyway, these people are amazingly optimistic, and are working terribly hard to overcome insurmountable obstacles, even those who have seen their children die of cholera or shot by soldiers or had their homes burned down by the Mai mai. Anyway, the human spirit is an amazing thing.

Charles and Liz Kong said...

Thank you for your kind words, although I never met Charlie I spoke to him several times. He was always there to give advise whether you liked it or not, it was always honest. He is truly missed.