Saturday, December 05, 2009

Happy States

I stumbled upon an article about the happiest states. With Utah, Hawaii and Wyoming as the top three, I decided it was no wonder that I'm so happy! I've spent more of my life in these three than all others combined. Interestingly, however, with respect to the general reasons given for why peoople in some states are happier -- wealth and tolerance (measured by the number of bohemians), these three are outliers. Note the throwaway line at the end of the caveats acknowledging this fact and suggesting that maybe happiness is a function of strong families, instead. Now there's a thought! Maybe that's why I'm so happy!

5 comments:

Anna said...

How about also adding the function of readily available outdoor recreation/natural beauty? Having lived in places that lack it, I certainly think it is an important part of happiness.

Bill Hastings said...

Also, a high number of sunny days.

Whitney said...

Interesting. I'm glad we're representing so well!

Anna said...

Yes sunshine. Vitamin D is apparently very vital for happiness and good health.

David and Kris Taylor said...

I saw that earlier and found it interesting as well. I'm glad you are happy.

D.