Monday, July 23, 2012

Whew!


I did it! I finally finished this -- it only took four months!  Not the fastest read, but interesting.  Chernow spent more time than I needed trying to explain Washington's views on slavery, revisiting the issue every few chapters -- even when he had little to go on but speculation.  He was similarly fascinated with reporting on Washington's lady friends -- although there was no evidence of anything more than friendships.  And we got a detailed account of each sitting he endured with an artist.  I'd have enjoyed more discussion of Washington's political views.  Chernow covered the Constitutional Convention rather hurriedly with few insights as to Washington's impact.

Chernow reinforced my view from Adams' biography and other historians of Jefferson as the first double-dealing politician.  Hamilton came across as strong-willed, but less manipulative.  (Not sure I'm ready to undertake the Chernow biography of him quite yet.)  Clearly, those who complain that the current partisanship is unprecedented know little of our history.  The hostility of Jefferson toward Hamilton probably rivals any between party leaders today.  And the stakes were higher then, as the nation had no history or tradition of unity and could easily have fallen into a civil war much earlier than it did.  Despite Chernow's frequent efforts to point out Washington's failures or inadequacies, he still ended up being a rather amazing leader, both in war and in peace -- perhaps the only person sufficiently respected throughout the country to have led it through the great transition from colony to independent nation.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Excellent review. I think Jefferson was a double-dealer and I agree that Washington was unique and probably the most universally loved politian/president we've ever had. I haven't read it, and am not sure I'm dying to after the review, but that's ok. I am anxious to read a bit more this August. Hooray for vacations!

Whitney said...

Interesting. Thanks for the review. It's too bad that politicians have been slimy since the beginning. You've inspired me to get back on PBS's American Experience...

David and Kris Taylor said...

I enjoyed the book and I liked your assessment, too.

D.

Shandra said...

Thanks for your review! 4 months to finish your book, not so bad! I'm embarrassed to admit that I am half way through Steve Jobs. Maybe I shouldn't read it to help me fall asleep a night? I only get through half a page that way! :) I'm really really enjoying it, I just wish I would force myself to sit down and read more.